« Home | set list 06.11.06 » | b collision » | Set List 06.04.06 » | my idol vote » | flying into a review... » | Just the Guys » | lead for growth » | i was buzzed...must have had a longer hangover » | nothing like a little automation » | team is better »

summoning self

Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits.
Psalm 103:1-2
This passage really struck me this morning. It is the self summoning the self to praise (as Brueggamen puts it). But I was struck by the similarity of the language to that used at the end of this song:

Praise the Lord, you his angels....
Praise the Lord, all his heavenly hosts...
Praise the Lord, all his works...
Praise the Lord, O my soul...

I think sometimes there is a tendency in worship to wait for it to arise...to wait for the mood, the zone, the Spirit. And while there is a place for waiting in worship there is also a place for us to summon the reluctant self to join with creation in the worship of the God who made us and has redeemed us.