« Home | Great Worship Leaders » | lead...then play » | relegated to the corner » | techno-lust » | Art » | Back... » | being the gospel » | Merry Christmas!!! » | Vision » | A Great Resource »

gypsies, tramps, and thieves

"Autonomy is a harlotry that does not work."
- Walter Brueggaman - in a commentary on psalm 73

I was so struck by this comment today. At first I was enamoured by the interesting use of words, but as I rolled them around in my brain for a bit, they really sunk in.

The the image of spiritual adultary is so prevelant in Scripture. A fact that fascinates me, and makes me uncomfortable. God uses the language of intimacy and sexuality, something that is most private and personal to us, to analogize His relationship with us and our brokenness in that.

I understand and have wrestled with the tendancy to place other things in the place of God. That kind of harlotry is familiar to me. But I was reminded today that very often my secret lover is myself. My own ambition to get er' done. My tendancy to take it all into my own hands and do it with out Him, who holds me close...inspite of myself.

This is my prayer today:

Psalm 73:28
But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds.

very poignant - I really appreciated this post, it made me do some thinking. Thanks.

nice header. really nice.

Hey Mattie...your blogs are thoughtful and spiritually relevant and helpful. Thanks for that, and you make me proud to be your big brother. I hope that when we were small maybe I helped you as much as I think you will help me in the future. Also I wanted to know if "analogize" is a word...like "analyze", or just a mattism. Let me know. Love you brother.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Your question about "analogize" sent me into a panic...I make up words all the time...but alas dictionary.com says this one is legit. :-)

love you

Post a Comment