« Home | today is.... » | Potential Leaders » | O' to be finished...... » | My good friends Stu and Jess came to visit at Hist... » | My daughter Hope is the little girl on the far rig... » | Fire, Metal, Pottery, and Me » | a blank slate... » | Uninterrupted prosperity » | The band.... » | my wife snuck a close up of me... »

mysticism keeps men sane...

Bob posted this quote by John Mayer about performing:
"There's a deep responsibility to move every last soul in the room."
Bob went on to apply this to ministry and ask:
"I'm wondering if we've forgotten the mystical element to the Christian experience and we're giving people great information and helpful hints for life, but we haven't moved their souls..."
I think this is such a challenging balance we have to undertake. Leaving something a bit mysterious is often much more difficult. There is such a push in evangelical Christianity to explain it all...

Chesterton says this in his Orthodoxy:
"Mysticism keeps men sane. As long as you have mystery you have health; when you destroy mystery you create morbidity." (p. 23)
...
I think people actually welcome a bit of mystery, we should strive to identify with that. Chesterton goes on:
"The ordinary man has always been sane because the ordinary man has always been a mystic. He has permitted the twilight....He has always cared more for the truth than for consistency."
Another reminder to me that being in ministry can take me away from being an "ordinary man."

Thanks to Bob and John for stirring the pot...